Moving to a new home can be an exciting journey; but there are also many important things to consider when deciding on your dream home in New Jersey. Your search may consist of finding a neighborhood and location you love and your ideal home style with all the bells and whistles. However, one essential thing that’s easily overlooked is the home’s heating and cooling system, which is the home’s largest and most expensive appliance. Here are a few tips for checking a home’s HVAC system before making an offer.
- Listen for strange sounds like clanging or hissing that could indicate problems. You may also want to look out for any water stains, cracks, rust, dents and other damage to the heating and cooling equipment.
- If possible, ask the homeowners for copies of utility bills during the summer and winter seasons so you can understand any energy trends in the home.
- If the HVAC system is over 10 years old, consider upgrading to a new energy-efficient model. A newer system runs more efficiently and can help keep your new home cooler in the summer and cozier in the winter.
- When considering an upgrade, also ask about the refrigerant used in the cooling system. If the AC system was installed before 2010, it most likely uses R-22 refrigerant (also known as Freon®). This refrigerant is being phased out and replaced with a more environmentally friendly alternative called R-410-A.
- Learn the shut-off locations for natural gas and water in case of an emergency.
- Ask where the electrical panel is located.
After you move in, you’ll want to protect your new home’s heating and cooling system and water heater (and your budget!) with a comfort service plan. Did you know an unexpected heating and cooling system repair may cost hundreds of dollars? With our Total Comfort Heating and Cooling Plan, you’ll get:
- Year-round protection from heating and cooling system and water heater breakdowns.
- Free repairs on covered parts, including labor.*
- No trip charges or emergency service fees, even on weekends and holidays.
- Service performed by local technicians, who are fully trained on all makes and models of equipment and technology innovations.
- An established relationship with an expert service provider and technicians who know your system.
Once you move into your dream New Jersey home, remember NJR Home Services is here for you and all your home comfort needs, including service plans for your heating system, cooling system and water heater; heating service and installation; AC service and installation; solar installation; electrical services and generators. Many of your new neighbors have trusted their homes to us for years. You can read about their positive experiences here. For more information on our products and services, call 877-466-3657 or complete our online request form.
*Terms and conditions apply. Detailed terms and conditions are available at njrhomeservices.com/terms-conditions and by mail upon request.