This season, be prepared for the unpredictable heavy rain, strong winds, thunder and lightning to help protect your home and keep your family safe. Make sure to monitor the forecast throughout the season and take precautions if a storm is coming your way. It may amount to nothing more than a light shower by the time it reaches you, but it’s better to rest easy knowing you have a plan in place. The best way to weather a storm is to be prepared. Check out our tips below.
- Keep your yard clean. Before a storm, secure items like trash cans, lawn and patio furniture, toys and sports equipment so they don’t become airborne and cause damage. To avoid potential damage to your AC unit, ensure trees and bushes are trimmed and dead branches are removed.
- Install a whole-house surge protector.* Electrical repairs can be costly. A whole-house surge protector can help minimize damage and replacement costs by diverting potentially harmful surges away from larger appliances, including your heating and cooling systems. Have a licensed NJRHS electrician install the surge-protector in your home’s main electrical panel. Watch the video below to learn more. Please see disclaimer below.
- Invest in a natural gas generator. A whole-house generator automatically starts up when the power goes out so your home’s essential appliances will keep running until service is restored. A home generator can keep your family comfortable during power outages.
- Test your sump pump. Ensure it’s in good operating condition to minimize risk of flooding.
- Install a transfer switch if you have a portable generator. You won’t need to run extension cords from your portable generator to items like lights and appliances. An NJRHS electrician will install the switch in your home’s main electricity panel and connect it to circuits you predetermine you want to maintain during an outage.
- Build an emergency/first aid kit. You should include everything your family needs in case of an emergency including first aid supplies, non-perishable food and water, flashlights, batteries and a portable radio.
If the unexpected happens – don’t worry! NJR Home Services is here for you and your home comfort needs. Whether you need AC replacement, AC service, electrical home repairs or would like a free, no-obligation quote for a natural gas generator, simply call 877-466-3657 or complete our online request form. We’ll respond promptly and answer your questions.
*Please note that a whole house surge protector is subject only to the manufacturer’s warranty and may not prevent damage associated with a sustained overvoltage; equipment installed outdoors, window air conditioning units, vandalism, theft, normal wear and tear, obsolescence, abuse or catastrophic events such as a lightning strike. NJR Home Services expressly disclaims any equipment warranties, express or implied, other than any written limited warranty offered on its labor.