You rely on your water heater in New Jersey to provide hot water for you and your family daily – from showers and baths, to washing dishes and laundry. It’s easy to take hot water for granted, until one day you turn on the faucet or shower and it’s icy cold. Like nearly all the appliances in your New Jersey home, your water heater will eventually fail. In fact, most water heaters are designed to last about 10 years.
Here are five reasons why your water heater in New Jersey may fail:
- Rust: Water heaters are made from steel and can rust. Check for visible rust spots around the top and bottom of the tank. If the hot water from your faucet is yellow or rusty, it may be a sign that the inside of your tank is rusting or has built up a layer of sediment.
- Sediment buildup: When water is heated, mineral deposits separate and settle onto the bottom of your water heater tank. Sediment builds up over time, reducing your water heater efficiency and may cause damage.
- Leaking tank: Check underneath the tank for moisture, drips or a trail of rusty water. When a water heater starts to fail, the first sign may be a slow leak.
- Wrong size heater: Water heaters come in a variety of sizes to accommodate the water usage of all the people and appliances in your home. If you buy a water heater that’s too small for your requirements, it will need to work harder, which can lead to a breakdown from overuse.
- Old age: Water heaters typically last about 10 years. Any longer than that, and you may be on borrowed time. If you’re having issues with rust, a bad heating element or a pilot light that won’t stay lit, it may be time to consider a replacement.
Don’t wait until your water heater breaks down and you’re left with only cold water. If your water heater is at the end of its life, consider proactively replacing it with a newer, more energy-efficient model. We offer several options to meet your home comfort needs including standard water heaters and tankless water heaters.
NJR Home Services is here to help you stay comfortable in your New Jersey home all year long. In addition to water heater replacement and repair, we also offer heating repair and heating replacement, AC repair and AC replacement, electrical home repairs and solar. For more information or to request a free, no-obligation quote, call 877-466-3657 or click here.