These days we’re all spending more time in our houses. If you’re working from your New Jersey home and homeschooling, you may be using more energy than you’re used to. From relying on your HVAC system more, to increasing your water usage or using electronics and devices more frequently – your energy consumption may be on the rise. There are some simple things you and your family can do to help reduce your household’s energy usage. Below are some tips to help you keep your energy costs down until your normal routine resumes.
- Replace your air filter on a regular basis. A fresh filter helps keep the coil and heat exchanger clean, which increases energy efficiency, minimizes the risk of breakdowns, and can extend the life of your heating and cooling system.
- Unplug devices. When you finish working, remember to unplug unused devices like printers, chargers, and extra monitors. To minimize energy used from devices, encourage kids to play board games, make crafts, and play outside when possible.
- Be mindful of your water usage. Take shorter showers, don’t leave faucets running, and keep an eye out for any leaks or running toilets.
- Limit the use of exhaust fans. Remember to turn off the kitchen, bath, and other exhaust fans within 20 minutes of use to save energy.
- Insulate around your windows and doors. Sealing air leaks is a great way to help reduce heating and cooling expenses. The most common sources of air leaks into your home are vents, windows, and doors.
- Dine-in efficiently. Eating at home more frequently can mean more cooking, dishes, and dishwasher loads. Use the proper-sized cookware for burners and opt for more energy-efficient appliances (like a microwave or crockpot) to help save energy.
- Switch to LED lightbulbs. Energy-efficient LED lightbulbs typically consume less energy than incandescent, halogen, and compact fluorescent alternatives.
- Consider going solar. Making the switch to clean, reliable solar power is a great way to help reduce your energy expenses.
While the new normal may look a little different these days, rest assured NJR Home Services is here for you and your New Jersey home comfort needs. We know your home is your comfort zone. That’s why we’re here to help with the repair or replacement of your heating, water heating or air conditioning equipment. Or, if you are interested in a solar panel system for your New Jersey home, simply call 877-959-3964 or complete our online request form. We’ll respond promptly and answer your questions.