What’s the Reasonable Useful Life of Your Heating and Cooling System?
There are few conveniences more treasured in our modern society than ready access to efficient home heating and cooling systems. Whether it’s keeping warm on a sub-zero winter day or beating the heat in the middle of July, you want to know that you can rely on your furnace, boiler or air conditioner. As a result, you’re diligent about changing filters and ensuring that all other routine maintenance is conducted.
For HVAC or water heater installation and repair near you, contact NJRHS online or call us toll-free at 877-466-3657.
But that won’t prevent you from having to replace a unit at some point. After all, nothing lasts forever. How long can you expect your HVAC system to function efficiently and effectively? How will you know when it’s time to install a new unit?
At NJR Home Services (NJRHS), we understand the importance of protecting your home heating and cooling systems. This page answers important questions to help you proactively monitor your heating and cooling systems and make the right decisions.
Do You Need to Replace Your HVAC System?
There’s another thing you should know, though — your heating and cooling systems are built to work together. If you change the power or capacity of one, you should seriously consider upgrading the other unit. For starters, technology has come a long way in the last decade —the HVAC systems available today are more efficient than those on the market 10 years ago.
Furthermore, when your heating and cooling systems complement each other, you’ll get maximum air flow, which can mean lower energy bills. In addition, matching the capacity of your furnace to that of your AC unit helps reduce the risk that your coil will freeze, an expense you’ll typically have to pay out of your own pocket, as most manufacturers don’t offer warranties on “coil-only” replacement.
How Will I Know My HVAC System Needs to Be Replaced?
There are a number of signs that your furnace, boiler or air conditioner may need to be replaced:
- Your home energy bills have gone up, but the weather hasn’t changed. This is a sign that your system is losing its efficiency and must work harder to attain the same level of climate control.
- The frequency of repairs has increased over the last two years. HVAC systems are made of a number of moving parts, all of which are subject to wear and tear. You should expect to replace some parts during the life of your furnace, boiler or AC unit. But, if you’ve had one major repair or a number of minor repairs in the last two years and the unit needs to be serviced again, you may find it more economical to replace the system.
- Your HVAC system rattles, clangs, bangs, whistles, whines, squeals or screeches. A healthy unit shouldn’t emit these types of sounds.
- Your blower won’t stop running. A continually running blower may also be a sign of other, more serious problems. It’s a good idea to get it checked out.
What Are the Warning Signs My Water Heater Needs to Be Replaced?
Most water heaters are designed to last about 10 years. If you notice any of the following, it may be time to install a new hot water heater:
- It takes a lot longer for your water to heat up or it just won’t get as hot as it did — both are signs of a loss of efficiency.
- There are water stains or puddles under or around the unit. The leak may be evidence the tank has been compromised and needs to be replaced.
- There’s visible rust or corrosion anywhere on the water heater. This may indicate your tank is breaking down.
- There’s a significant buildup of sediment or mineral deposits in the tank. This may cause your water heater to be less efficient. To test for sediment buildup, compare a glass of cold water with a glass of hot water. If the cold water is clear, but the hot water is cloudy or discolored, that’s evidence of sediment in your tank. You may be able to flush out the tank, but you may have to replace the unit.
Experienced Heating, Cooling and Water Heater Specialists in Monmouth County, New Jersey
If you have questions or concerns about your heating, cooling or hot water system in Monmouth County, we can help. We offer a wide range of HVAC services and products including installation of new units and servicing of existing furnaces, boilers and air conditioning units. We also install and service water heaters. Our licensed and experienced service technicians are available to repair or service your HVAC system in Middletown, Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro and the surrounding communities.
Discover the ease of one-stop shopping. Simply call our customer service representatives at 877-466-3657 or complete our online request form. We’ll respond promptly and answer any questions you might have.