When the summer heat arrives, you rely on your home to be a place where you and your family can stay cool and comfortable. This may mean running your AC system more frequently, which can increase your energy bills. You may also have kids or grandkids home from school who are spending more time on electronics and devices. Outdoor family activities may leave you having to wash extra loads of bathing suits, beach towels and muddy clothes. There are some simple things you and your family can do to help reduce your household’s energy usage especially during the warmer months. Below are some tips to help you use less energy and save on your energy bills. Some you can quickly (and easily) do today, while others require a little more time, effort or planning.
- Be smart with your thermostat. When you’re away from home, turn up the thermostat a few degrees so you’re not cooling an empty house. Did you know a smart or programmable thermostat can help you automatically adjust your home’s climate control while you’re away? It can!
- Replace your air filter on a regular basis. A fresh filter helps keep the coil and heat exchanger clean which increases energy efficiency, minimizes the risk of breakdowns and can extend the life of your heating and cooling system.
- Upgrade your AC system. If your unit is more than 10 years old and has not been keeping your home to your comfort level, now may be the time to replace. Keep reading below for some other great reasons why you should upgrade.
- Unplug devices. When you leave home, remember to unplug electronics not in use. To minimize energy used from devices, encourage kids and grandkids to play board games, make crafts and play outside when possible.
- Be mindful of your water usage. Take shorter showers, don’t leave faucets running and keep an eye out for any leaks or running toilets. Every drop counts!
- Limit use of exhaust fans. Remember to turn off your bath, kitchen and other exhaust fans within 20 minutes of use to save energy.
- Insulate around your windows and doors. You can help reduce heating and cooling expenses by sealing any air leaks around windows, doors and vents.
- Upgrade to LED bulbs. Energy efficient LEDs typically consume less energy than incandescent, halogen and compact fluorescent alternatives.
- Cook outdoors. By grilling outside, you can enjoy the great weather while helping to avoid raising the temperature in your home by turning on your oven or stove.
- Consider going solar. Making the switch to clean, reliable solar power is a great way to help reduce your energy expenses.
NJR Home Services is here to help make sure you keep your cool even during the warmest months. Looking for ways to stay more comfortable this summer? If your AC unit is over 10 years old, did you know it may be time to upgrade to a new energy-efficient model? When you need someone to replace your air conditioning equipment, NJR Home Services make the process easy with:
- Expert AC system installation by our professional installers who will keep you informed from beginning to end – and clean up after!
- Simple financing with several convenient options for every budget.
- Peace of mind – eliminate the worry of further repairs and breakdowns.
- Ease of install – we’ll handle the entire process for you, from submitting permits to installing your new, energy-efficient cooling system. We’ll even remove your old equipment at no additional charge!
Homeowners continually look for ways to save energy and money. But, we all need air conditioning to stay cool and comfortable during the soaring temperatures of the summer. By following some of our simple tips, you can help keep your energy usage down during the warm summer months. Make sure you have a game plan for saving energy this summer and avoiding high energy bills.
NJR Home Services is an HVAC contractor who is here to help keep you and your family comfortable year-round in your New Jersey home. We’re here for all your home comfort needs including service plans for your heating system, cooling system and water heater, heating service and installation, AC service and installation, solar, electrical services and generators*. You can rely on us to help keep your home your comfort zone. For more information on our products and services, call 877-466-3657 or complete our online request form.
*Terms and conditions apply.